Friday, September 27, 2013

The Temptress - Stout Beer Chili

Lakewood Brewing Co Temptress Chili

Chili Pot
Bowl of Temptress Stout Chili



This chili recipe is adapted from my dad's chili recipe
About 3 years ago, I had him show me how he made his chili
Back then I used whatever beer was in the house (miller lite)
I think I even used bud light lime once 

Over time, I've tweaked it into something of my own
He hasn't tried it yet, but I think this is the recipe to share with him 

Now.. here in Texas.. a good chili recipe is GOLDEN
Not many are likely to share if you're competitive
But the whole purpose of this blog is for me to share my recipes with the masses
So I can't possibly keep this to myself
So, if you make it and you like it and you enter it into a chili cook-off
and you win.. 
just cut me in! (JK)

Sandi & Pat's Stout Beer Chili
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 1/2 lb stew meat
  • 1 1/2 lb ground chuck
  • 2 white onions, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced (optional - I just think it looks pretty)
  • 1 poblano pepper, diced
  • 3-4 jalapeno peppers, whole
  • 1 1/2 - 2 bottles of Imperial Stout (I used Lakewood Brewing co. Temptress)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (I use gerbhardt)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
DIRECTIONS
  • Dice the stew meat into smaller, bite size pieces (remove any fat) - Salt and pepper the meat
  • In a large pot, heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil over medium high heat, brown the stew meat; once browned; remove from pan and set to the side
  • Turn the heat down to medium, place the ground chuck (salt/pepper) and diced onions in the pot; once the meat is browned, drain the excess fat.
  • Return the stew meat to the pot; add all the green, red and poblano chopped peppers.  
  • Now, depending on how hot you like  your chili, add the number of jalapenos (whole not chopped).  You'll be tasting it alot, so if it gets too hot, just remove them.
  • Add the beer.... now the beer I used is very strong- but I used it all.  It tastes really strong at first, but I promise as it cooks, the flavor of the beer gets better
  • Add the seasonings - chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne pepper)
  • Stir together well, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for a hour and a half to 2 hours; stirring and tasting about every 15 minutes or so. You want the stew meat to be tender before serving. Also, you might want to remove the jalapenos if it's too spicy, or you may want to add.   If the chili becomes dry, add more beer (or you can add water)

No comments:

Becoming More Than Just a Good Bible Study Girl

We kicked off our bible study on Saturday. This is our 7th book over the last 5 years. I am really excited about this book. It was just r...