Tuesday, September 9, 2008

On the Road Again - Odessa


Well, 2 days back from Lubbock, I found out that my stepmom's (Linda) grandmother (Memaw) had passed away on Saturday, 8/30. She just turned 101 years old on 8/25. I last saw her last year at her 100th birthday. She's been living in Dallas for 20 years, but lived in Odessa longer, and that was where she was buried. The funeral was on Monday, 9/8. Dad and I left for Odessa at 6am Monday morning. Hwy 20 all the way. So, it was like deja vu all the way to Sweetwater. I think it's at Sweetwater where it becomes Hwy 84 and that's the road to Lubbock. We arrived in Odessa at 12:30. Ate lunch with everyone at McAllister's sandwich shop. Went to Ronnie and Earlene's to change clothes, and Dad showed me the homes he lived in when he grew up. (Sidebar -I was actually born in Odessa. We moved when I was 6 months old. I hadn't been to Odessa since early 80's.)
The funeral was at 2pm. It was a very lovely service. Memaw was a blessed lady, and strong Christian woman. Back on the road to Dallas at 4pm. We hit some strong thunderstorms. We wanted mexican food, and it took us 300 miles to find a restaurant. It wasn't very good. We have to go through Palo Pinto and Parker Counties. It's extremely nerve racking to go through this counties during thunderstorms. There always seems to be some type of tornado watch or warning in this counties. We made it to my house at 10:30pm. I'm sure my dad has had enough of my company for a couple weeks!

No comments:

Becoming More Than Just a Good Bible Study Girl

We kicked off our bible study on Saturday. This is our 7th book over the last 5 years. I am really excited about this book. It was just r...