For Thanksgiving 2014, I decided to make 3 casseroles.
Green Bean, Broccoli Rice, and Squash
I have only made broccoli rice casserole several times. I always search the internet and Pinterest to get ideas when I do not have a "go to" recipe.
I decided to use Paula Deen's Broccoli Casserole as my base then added a couple cups of rice to it.
The challenge like the Green Bean Casserole is the amount I needed to make.
|Broccoli Rice Casserole|
|Broccoli Rice Casserole with Topping|
Crowd Pleasing Broccoli Rice CasseroleIngredients
- 4 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 (10 3/4 ounces) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups crackers, crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt and pepper to taste
Extra Twist- Sauteed Mushrooms(if you want to "jazz" it up)
- 1 pkg fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/4 cup half n half
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Spray a large foil roasting pan with cooking spray
- Cook broccoli per the directions on package - set aside to cool
- Cook rice per the directions on the package - set aside to cool
- In the pan, combine broccoli, rice, mayo, cheese, soup, eggs (make sure the rice and broccoli are cool so the eggs do not scramble), and "extra twist" sauteed mushrooms
- Mix well - don't forget the salt and pepper
- Top with crushed crackers and pour the melted butter evenly over the crackers
- Bake for 40-45 minutes