I have made green bean casserole so many ways. It's amazing to make from scratch, but for Thanksgiving 2014, I was cooking 3 different casseroles (green bean, broccoli rice, and squash) for a big crowd, so I needed to keep is simple.
What is more simple than
Honestly, it's delicious.
I know some people do not care for it, but I happen to love it.
My biggest challenge was determining how much of it I needed to make.
I decided this time, I'd make notes of how I made it and how it tasted so that I know next Thanksgiving if this recipe was a "keeper"
CROWD PLEASING GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Ingredients (classic recipe)
- 4 cans (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cans (14.5 ounces) cut green beans ( I prefer these over french green beans)
- 4 1/3 cups french fried onions
Extra Twist- Sauteed Mushrooms
(if you want to "jazz" it up)
- 1 pkg fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/4 cup half n half
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Set aside 1 1/3 cups french fried onions
- Whisk together soup, milk, soy sauce, and pepper to make the sauce
- Toss green beans with sauce in a baking dish (I used a large foil roasting dish as I was taking this to another location)
- Add the sauteed mushrooms if you went for the "extra twist"
- Bake casserole for 40-45 minutes, until the mixture begins to bubble around the edges
- Stir the mixture and sprinkle with reserved french fried onions
- Bake another 5-10 minutes until onions begin to brown