Crowd Pleasing Squash Casserole
Thanksgiving 2014, I decided to make 3 casserole dishes.
I have never made squash casserole. It is one of my favorites any time I eat somewhere with a home style flair.
There are so many different ways to make squash casserole.
Here is the recipe I decided to test out - Southern Living Squash Casserole.
I adapted it to feed a large crowd. This recipe also called for basil. I chose to leave it out.
|Cooked Yellow Squash & Onions|
CROWD PLEASING SQUASH CASSEROLE
- 8 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 2 large sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups soft, fresh breadcrumbs divided (I used italian)
- 2 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup French Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place yellow squash and onions in a dutch oven; cover with water. Cook about 8 minutes or just until the yellow squash and onions are tender; drain squash mixture well - set aside to cool
- Combine cooled squash mixture, sharp cheddar cheese, mayo, garlic salt, pepper, eggs, 2 cup breadcrumbs, and 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese. Spoon into a lightly greased large foil roasting pan.
- Stir melted butter, french fried onions, remaining breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the squash mixture.
- Bake casserole for 45-50 minutes or until set.