Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Flag Cake

July 4th Flag Cake



So, I know... the 4th was last week.  I have not been the best blog poster lately, but I really do plan to do a better job by posting at least 2-3 times a week.

This is a cake I make every year.  This year I did it a little different.  Instead of piping the white lines with cream cheese frosting... I sprinkled powdered sugar on top of the blueberries and raspberries.   The key is to place the blueberries and raspberries that you want to "sugar" on the cake first. (Actually, I spread cream cheese frosting on top of the cake first to act as "glue" for the berries to stick to).    I sifted powder over the rows of berries, then I placed the "non" powdered berries on the cake.

I keep this really simple.  I usually just make a box strawberry cake and make my own frosting. I sometimes use the tub o' frosting.  The presentation is fun, and the cake is usually moist.

This is not a true "flag" replica.  I was afraid I'd run out of raspberries if I put in the full 13 rows.

No comments:

Becoming More Than Just a Good Bible Study Girl

We kicked off our bible study on Saturday. This is our 7th book over the last 5 years. I am really excited about this book. It was just r...