Sunday, August 4, 2013

Grilled Italian Sandwich



I was inspired to grill this sandwich after watching Curtis Stone make an outdoor grilled cheese sandwich on The Chew last week!

The only ingredient I copied from his recipe is the ciabatta bread. I knew the'd be no way my son, Ryan would even attempt to eat a sandwich with gruyere, Brie and nectarine chutney. I love all these ingredients so I will have to attempt that one another day. 

Now, on this sandwich, we had to divide it as we like different things! Ryan used red pepper mayo, salami, ham, tomatoes, red onion, and cheddar cheese!  I used fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil from my garden. I drizzled my side with balsamic vinegar. 

Before we "dressed" our sandwich, I brushed the bread with olive oil, rubbed a garlic clove on it, and sprinkled it with salt & pepper. Ryan grilled it until just lightly toasted. We "dressed" it, brushed a light coat of olive oil on the outside of the bread, then put it back on the grill just long enough for the cheese to melt. 

The bread was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Ryan did not like his bread so crunchy, but he did eat his entire half of the sandwich. Mine was delicious. The creaminess of the mozza cheese with the tomato and basil complimented the crunchy bread. I think I might try French bread or a baguette next time, though! Just because! 

No comments:

Becoming More Than Just a Good Bible Study Girl

We kicked off our bible study on Saturday. This is our 7th book over the last 5 years. I am really excited about this book. It was just r...